getMBlocks

Rich Fought whatever at fsrz.net
Tue Aug 8 09:04:49 EDT 2006

Simon Marlow wrote:

> What tool(s) did you use to obtain this figure?

This particular figure was gathered using perfmon logs collecting once
per second from my application, while running in WinDbg to break on
getMBlocks().  The particular memory variables tracked are "Private
Bytes" and "Working Set."

> Did you try GHC's heap profiler?
> Or simply running your program with +RTS -Sstderr will give you a clue
> about the shape of the heap usage - each line is a single GC, and it
> includes the amount of live data at that point.
>
> If your program has a flat heap profile and yet is still grabbing more
> memory, then something else is going on.

Yes I did try the profiler, but I couldn't really garner any useful
information from it.  Most likely because I don't understand how to use
it correctly.  :)  I should revisit this however, as I have since
discovered and fixed some leaks.  It should at least look different.

Thanks,
Rich