Graphics library very slow

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 7 12:03:28 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:12 +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> By "this code is currently broken", I'm sure you are right, but which
> code you mean exactly?  The Win32 binding for GHC?  Or the Hugs Graphics
> Library (HGL) implementation for GHC?

The HGL for GHC and therefore also the current SOE impl which is based
upon HGL.

> It'd be good to have a Trac bug report, specifying as precisely as
> possible what is broken.

I am afraid that I do not know what is wrong with it, I've just heard
tell from many users and other developers that it is broken in some way.

Paul Hudak told me that he had discussed the state of it with Simon
Marlow and that neither of them were keen on fixing the Win32 impl of
HGL because debugging it has proved to be a nightmare in the past.

Hence Paul is currently evaluating an alternative implementation of SOE
based on Gtk2Hs (this also provides some other benefits like
anti-aliased rendering).

Duncan