using ghc with make

John Meacham john at
Tue Apr 18 19:27:49 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:26:18AM +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> > FWIW ginsu and DrIFT both use make and don't use ghcs --make feature. I
> > find this can be faster once your projects grow beyond a certain size as
> > it takes ghc a while to figure out which files need to be rebuilt with
> > --make
> if that is due to the time of reading .hi files, my alternative Binary
> library should help in some future

Interesting, A big bottleneck in jhc right now is reading the (quite
large) binary ho and hl files on startup. a few things I have wanted out
of a binary library are:

 * the ability to create a hash of the structure of the underlying data
   type, to verify you are reading data in the right format.
 * extensible type-indexed sets (implemented hackily in Info.Binary in
 * being able to jump over unneeded data, as in go directly to the 112th
   record, or the third field in a data structure without having to
   slurp through everything that came before it.
 * VSDB[1] style ACID updates as an option.
 * VSDB style write-time optimized constant hash table. I don't mind
   spending extra time when writing library files to speed up their
 * mmap based reading.

I was going to get around to writing this sometime, but perhaps there is
room for a collaborative project in there. Is your code available
somewhere bulat?

[1] VSDB is my very simple database that ensures full ACID semantics using
  just the file guarentees of unix, including the weaker guarentees of
  Sort of like STM on the filesystem.

John Meacham - ⑆⑆john⑈