using ghc with make

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 19:36:12 EDT 2006

Hi,

> The compile / fix compiler errors cycle is an important part
> of the development process for me, and so I want
> recompilation to go as quickly as possible.

If you are not using any GHC specific features, then I find that using
Hugs for compiler errors, then once Hugs is happy moving on to GHC can
massively speed up development time.

FWIW, I have been using this strategy for my work on Yhc (~150
modules) and get times of about 4 seconds for Hugs to load, parse,
type check, and times of about 1 min for GHC --make to just do
nothing, a complete build is about 15 mins. It makes fixing compile
time errors much more fun.

Thanks

Neil