Garbage collecting CAFs

Andrew Cheadle amc4 at
Tue Sep 20 15:46:37 EDT 2005

Hi John,

Obviously the Simons are most qualified to answer this, however,
perhaps the following document (page 44-46) is sufficient to explain

it was a draft document that wasn't quite finished and was aimed at GHC
4.xx. I believe much of it is still applicable (except wrt evaluation
where the eval-apply mechanism is used over push-enter).

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, John Meacham wrote:

>I have seen numerous references to CAFs not used to being garbage
>collected in ghc leading to various contortions of the optimizer to keep
>from generating them and possible space leaks... then "something" was
>done and they are now collected.. I am curious what paper (or list
>message?) describes what that "something" is and what it entails in
>terms of tradeoffs. thanks.
>        John
>John Meacham - ⑆⑆john⑈
>Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
>Glasgow-haskell-users at

*  Andrew Cheadle                    email:  a.cheadle at *
*  Department of Computing  *
*  Imperial College                                                 *
*  University of London                                             *