.hc files for building ghc-6.4.1 on amd64 ?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 19 07:57:52 EDT 2005

On 19 September 2005 12:45, Wilhelm B. Kloke wrote:

> I tried
>> (cd ghc/rts ; gmake all)
> after (cd ghc/compiler ; gmake stage=2 )

You should try a 'gmake -k' in ghc/rts, that might be enough to get the
required .hc files.

> I have further information now. When compiling Linker.c,
> the compilation fails, because there is no MAP_32BIT in FreeBSD-amd64.
> Perhaps just removing this could make it work. I have no idea
> why it is needed on linux-x86_64.

MAP_32BIT is quite important: it tells mmap() to return memory in the
lower 2Gb of the address space, so that we can assume all symbols have
32 bit addresses.  This is how the small memory model on Linux works.  I
bet FreeBSD has something equivalent (or maybe not?).

This is only required for GHCi.  You can get a working compiler without
needing a working Linker.c.

> Probably. But this is in a very early stage. It even happens when
> using
>> gmake -n boot
> (for finding the cause I wanted to know the commands which may have
> failed), that two command using $(HAPPY) and $(ALEX) are executed. I
> was not
> able to locate the point better. Perhaps you could try the first
> stages of the crossbuild on suitable system, where these two variable
> from
> mk/config.mk are defined empty (as was the case on my system after
> configure).

I would, but I'm kind of busy doing the 6.4.1 release right now.  When I
have more time, I plan to try the port to FreeBSD/amd64 myself (unless
anyone gets there first).