hat, ghc

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Fri Sep 2 15:00:14 EDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 10:22:06AM +0100, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Frederik Eaton <frederik at a5.repetae.net> writes:
>
> > By the way, can I make a request to have the hmake default be to use
> > the environment?
>
> Ian Lynagh recently added this capability to hmake, but it wasn't
> documented (until yesterday).  The relevant option is
>     hmake-config add-dyn ghc
> which causes the version of ghc to be probed every time hmake is run,
> rather than only once at configure-time.  Thus, it should pick up
> the current environment settings as needed.

OK.

> > Now, it appears to be looking for 'ghc-pkg' in the library directory
> > of 'ghc' (rather, again, than in $PATH)
>
> Well, hmake absolutely needs to use the ghc-pkg that belongs to the
> particular version of ghc.  The heuristic used to find it might be
> slightly fragile, but it is the best available, and indeed it is
> based on the information given by ghc itself.  If the executable
> has been moved such that querying ghc for its location is no longer
> reliable, that's tough to fix.

If 'ghc' could always tell you where the correct 'ghc-pkg' lives, then
I guess that might be a reasonable way of doing things. However,
nothing is strange about my installation, it is the default but with a
different prefix, so something else must be broken. (And if 'hmake'
had just gone with $PATH then it would have worked :) )

Frederik

--
http://ofb.net/~frederik/