Profiling and Data.HashTable

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Fri Oct 14 10:17:19 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I have a program that uses hash tables to store word counts.  It can
use few, large hash tables, or many small ones.  The problem is that
it uses an inordinate amount of time in the latter case, and
profiling/-sstderr shows it is GC that is causing it (accounting for
up to 99% of the time(!))

Is there any reason to expect this behavior?

Heap profiling shows that each hash table seems to incur a memory
overhead of approx 5K, but apart from that, I'm not able to find any
leaks or unexpected space consumption.

Suggestions?

-k