GHC-6.4.1 on FreeBSD-amd64 still not ported

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 13 05:29:13 EDT 2005

On 12 October 2005 17:34, Wilhelm B. Kloke wrote:

> Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
>> Just doing 'make -k' in ghc/rts should leave all the .hc files
>> behind, because you already have the -keep-hc-files flag in your
>> command line, so GHC won't delete the intermediate .hc files even
>> when the subsequent compilation stage fails.
>
> This doesn't work. The commands don't leve a .hc file behind, even
> with make -k.

My apologies: the failure was happening before generation of the .hc
file.  The error is generated by this in Cmm.h:

#if SIZEOF_mp_limb_t != SIZEOF_VOID_P
#error mp_limb_t != StgWord: assumptions in PrimOps.cmm are now false
#endif

SIZEOF_mp_limb_t comes from DerivedConstants.h, and SIZEOF_VOID_P comes
from ghcautoconf.h (both in ghc/includes).  Both of these files should
be from the target system for a cross-compile; I strongly suspect that
one of them has been overwritten by the host version in your tree.

Sorry that this process is somewhat flaky; we've never got around to
making the build system really do cross-compilation properly, and the
fact that it usually only needs to be done once for any given platform
means there isn't a lot of motivation to do the work.