porting ghc-6.4 to x86_64

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Wed Mar 23 03:58:21 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:56:25PM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 22 March 2005 10:10, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
>
> > Well, looking at the makefile it becomes clear, that it must do so.
> > -------------------------------------
> > # Make DerivedConstants.h for the compiler
> >
> > all :: DerivedConstants.h
> >
> > mkDerivedConstants.c : $(H_CONFIG)
> >
> > mkDerivedConstantsHdr : mkDerivedConstants.o
> >         $(CC) -o $@ $(CC_OPTS) $(LD_OPTS) mkDerivedConstants.o
> >
> > DerivedConstants.h : mkDerivedConstantsHdr
> >         ./mkDerivedConstantsHdr >$@
> >
> > CLEAN_FILES += mkDerivedConstantsHdr$(exeext) DerivedConstants.h
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Since ghcautoconf.h is new this triggers update for
> > mkDerivedConstants.c which in turn updates mkDerivedConstantsHdr
> > which in turn updates DerivedConstants.h. I guess I should also touch
> > the mkDerivedConstants.c to avoid the updates. Am I correct?
>
> Duh, sorry about that.  The full list of things you need to touch are:
>
>  $ touch ghcautoconf.h DerivedConstants.h GHCConstants.h
> mkDerivedConstants.c mkDerivedConstantsHdr mkDerivedConstants.o
> mkGHCConstants mkGHCConstants.o

Hm. I'll try it, though currently I've opted for disabling that section
of the Makefile completely. Then things worked ok. Except for the very
last step of creating tar.gz. There I got errors

tar: ghc-6.4/ghc/rts/AutoApply_thr.hc: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: ghc-6.4/ghc/rts/AutoApply_thr_p.hc: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: ghc-6.4/ghc/rts/AutoApply_debug.hc: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

Which appears to be harmless, since I still was able to build the
unregistered compiler on x86_64.

> Thanks for highlighting the problem.

You are always welcome. In turn thanks for help, I wouldn't get it done
otherwise :)