References to the Rts in unregisterised first build of ghc 6.4

Michiel Buddingh' ajuin at stack.nl
Mon Jun 27 12:53:23 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:00:01PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 26 June 2005 18:28, Michiel Buddingh' wrote:
> > I was able to generate a set of .hc files on a linux-i386 host, but
> > (as was expected) the rtc failed to build.
>
> Where exactly did the RTS build fail?  Can you post the error message?
> We do need the .hc files generated from the RTS .cmm source files.

Adjustor.c:106:27: machine/pal.h: No such file or directory
Adjustor.c: In function createAdjustor':
Adjustor.c:403: error: PAL_imb' undeclared (first use in this function)
Adjustor.c:403: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
Adjustor.c:403: error: for each function it appears in.)

I didn't take a look at this before, but I suspect machine/pal.h might even
be specific to OSF/1.

Other alterations (in reverse order)

Edited out the -mieee gcc flag from /ghc/compiler/main/DriverFlags.hs
(gcc-i386 doesn't understand it, and even on Alpha, removing it probably
wouldn't break the build process itself)

Commented out:

#if alpha_TARGET_ARCH
checkFEDArgs arg_tys
  = check (integral_args <= 32) err
  where
    integral_args = sum [ machRepByteWidth rep
                        | (rep,hint) <- map typeMachRepRep arg_tys,
                          hint /= FloatHint ]
    err = ptext SLIT("On Alpha, I can only handle 4 non-floating-point
arguments
 to foreign export dynamic")

from TcForeign.lhs. typeMachRepRep was nowhere to be found (not in ghc-6.4,
or any earlier released version), and I wasn't able to figure out what,
exactly, it does.  It seemed like an RTS thing, so I decided to comment it
out, and the build proceded.  Not sure if that was such a wise idea now.

Commented out:

import PrimRep		( getPrimRepSize, isFloatingRep )

from the same file.  The file isn't included with ghc
anymore, and the imported functions weren't used.
--
		-- Michiel