internal error: weird activation record found on stack: 9

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 4 12:17:31 EST 2005

On 03 January 2005 15:19, Peter Simons wrote:

> I wrote:
>
>  > Simon Marlow writes:
>
>  >> Please compile the program with -debug, then open it
>  >> with gdb.
>
>  > Unfortunately, -debug seems to conflict with -threaded:
>
>  >   ghc --make -threaded -debug -O -Wall [...] -o postmaster
>  tutorial.lhs [...] >   Chasing modules from: tutorial.lhs
>  >   [...]
>  >   Compiling Main             ( tutorial.lhs, .objs/Main.o )
>  >   Linking ...
>  >   /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find
>  -lHSrts_thr_debug >   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> It has been a while since this problem came up, and I was
> wondering what to do now, because the software keeps
> crashing (or freezing) every few days.
>
> Any advice, anyone?

If your program still works without -threaded, then that's an option.
Otherwise, you'll need to compile up a local copy of the debug/threaded
RTS so you can use -debug and -threaded together.  The way to do that is
to add "GhcRtsWays += thr_debug" to mk/build.mk in a GHC tree, and build
as normal.    You can then either use this GHC to build your app, or
just use the thr_debug version of the RTS with your existing GHC
installation by giving the appropriate -L option when linking (it better
be the same GHC version, of course).