GHC 6.4 release candidates available (breakage on suse 9.2 x86 or x86-64)

Anders Höckersten chucky at dtek.chalmers.se
Wed Feb 23 04:25:21 EST 2005

Brian Strand wrote:

> Jens Petersen wrote:
>
>> Brian Strand wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm having some serious "issues" getting GHC to run on Suse 9.2/x86
>>> (or x86-64
>>> for that matter, although I didn't really expect that to work
>>> without some pain
>>> and suffering).  I've had no luck with 6.2.2, or any 6.4 release
>>> candidate. Here is a typical example:  after doing a "./configure;
>>> make in-place", I get
>>> the following:
>>>
>>> /home/bstrand/haskell/ghc-6.4.20050221/lib/i386-unknown-linux/ghc-6.4.20050221:
>>>
>>> error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open
>>> shared
>>> object file: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> Fair enough; "rpm -q readline" gives me readline-5.0-1.2.
>>

>> How about just installing readline4 (or whatever package provides
>> libreadline.so.4)? :)
>>
>> Jens
>

> I was trying to "do the right thing" and report whatever was broken in
> the ghc bootstrapping process :)  But shortly after my post I broke
> down and installed readline-compat (which on Suse 9.2 luckily happens
> to have libreadline.so.4), which fixes my problem on x86.
>
> Unfortunately I'm still stuck on x86-64, since there are no "official"
> binaries to bootstrap from on that platform.  But at least I have a
> ghc to play with while waiting for x86-64 to become official.
>
> Thanks for the assistance,
> Brian

There are some debian packages of ghc 6.2.2 and related stuff for amd64
located here:
http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64/pool/unstable/main/amd64/g/ghc6/

Hopefully you can find some way to convert these to a format you can
install (there are programs for converting debian packages to rpms I
think, but I can't remember what they are called - google is your friend).

After installing this binary, bootstrapping an (at least unregistered)
amd64 ghc 6.4 should be possible.

Cheers,
Anders