GHC 6.4 release candidates available (breakage on suse 9.2 x86 or x86-64)

Brian Strand bstrand at switchmanagement.com
Wed Feb 23 03:48:23 EST 2005

Jens Petersen wrote:
> Brian Strand wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm having some serious "issues" getting GHC to run on Suse 9.2/x86
>> (or x86-64
>> for that matter, although I didn't really expect that to work without
>> some pain
>> and suffering).  I've had no luck with 6.2.2, or any 6.4 release
>> candidate. Here is a typical example:  after doing a "./configure;
>> make in-place", I get
>> the following:
>>
>> /home/bstrand/haskell/ghc-6.4.20050221/lib/i386-unknown-linux/ghc-6.4.20050221:
>>
>> error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open
>> shared
>> object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> Fair enough; "rpm -q readline" gives me readline-5.0-1.2.
>

> How about just installing readline4 (or whatever package provides
> libreadline.so.4)? :)
>
> Jens

I was trying to "do the right thing" and report whatever was broken in
the ghc bootstrapping process :)  But shortly after my post I broke down
and installed readline-compat (which on Suse 9.2 luckily happens to have
libreadline.so.4), which fixes my problem on x86.

Unfortunately I'm still stuck on x86-64, since there are no "official"
binaries to bootstrap from on that platform.  But at least I have a ghc
to play with while waiting for x86-64 to become official.

Thanks for the assistance,
Brian