compiling GHC with a custom path to GCC

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Thu Feb 17 06:48:54 EST 2005

Simon Marlow wrote:

>On 17 February 2005 11:12, Remi Turk wrote:
>

>>when compiling the new ghc pre-releases made my gcc 2.95.3 die
>>with "internal compiler error", I tried to compile it with gcc
>>3.4.3 (or rather, I thought it compiled with 3.4.1, and when that
>>died, compiled+installed gcc 3.4.3, tried again, say it die again
>>and only then noticed it was actually still using 2.95.3 ;) but
>>had quite some difficulty to actually get it to compile with, in
>>my case, /usr/local/bin/gcc3
>>
>>When using the following command-line
>>
>>CC=gcc3 CXX=g++3 nice ./configure --enable-hopengl
>>--prefix=/var/tmp/ghc --with-gcc=/usr/local/bin/gcc3
>>
>>stage1 still used gcc 2.95.3 to compile stage2 (okay, for --with-gcc
>>that's documented)
>>

>Really?  --with-gcc should set the gcc for stage1, AFAIK.  Is there a
>bug here?
>
>I've noticed gcc 2.95 crashing on my FreeBSD box too.  I should look
>into whether there's a workaround, otherwise we're hosed on FreeBSD 4.x.

This is a known problem in all the 3.x compilers, and also occurs,
although less often, with 2.9x versions.  I've seen no difference in
frequency comparing FreeBSD to Linux and NetBSD.

The only solution, which is of course highly annoying, is to simply
restart the make.  For whatever reason this always works, sometimes
until the end of the build, and sometimes until some other crash.  My
theory is that it is related to the temporary files that gcc creates,
mostly for templates.

While a royal PITA, the resulting code is correct.