Data.Typeable and default instances

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 5 05:07:44 EST 2005

Jim

You've found a strange corner case.   Here's a cut-down example, which
fails in exactly the same way.

	class Baz v x where
	   foo :: x -> x	-- Notice that v is not mentioned
	   foo y = y

	instance Baz Int Int

But it succeeds if you put the instance explicitly:

	instance Baz Int Int where foo y = y

GHC does not actually macro-expand the instance decl.  Instead, it
defines a default method function, thus

	$dmfoo :: Baz v x => x -> x
	$dmfoo y = y

Notice that this is an ambiguous type: you can't call $dmfoo without
triggering an error.  And when you write an instance decl, it calls the
default method:

	instance Baz Int Int where foo = $dmfoo

I'd never thought of that.  You might think that we should just *infer*
the type of the default method (here forall a. a->a), but in the
presence of higher rank types etc we can't necessarily do that.

So I'm not sure what to do.  I've added it as an expected-failure test
(tc199).  I have not added a SourceForge bug because the original
program seems so implausible.

Meanwhile, the workaround is to define your own default method, thus:
	dmfoo :: x -> x
	dmfoo y = y

	instance Baz Int Int where foo = dmfoo

Simom