ghc and cabal

Lemmih lemmih at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 11:08:56 EDT 2005

On 8/6/05, Serge D. Mechveliani <mechvel at botik.ru> wrote:
> On Aug 05, 2005 we  wrote:
>
> > "Serge D. Mechveliani" <mechvel at botik.ru> writes:
> >
> > > Which Cabal version will be in official  ghc-6.4.1  by default?
> >

> > It'll be 1.0 with some bug fixes (Simon: can you please make the
> > version number '1.0.1'?)
> >

> > > If it is 1.0, then  ghc-6.4.1 will fail with `make' for profiling.
> > > So, the user needs to install another Cabal version and to link it
> > > to GHC, and this occurs difficult. This is likely to complicate the
> > > usage of GHC
> >
> > Yep.  Profiling support won't be there, but some of the problems you
> > faced in building a separate Cabal will hopefully be fixed in the new
> > version of GHC.
>

> First, I tried to test profiling in  ghc-6.4.1-pre-release,
> and could not -- due to this misfeature with "_p" modules in
> Cabal-1.0.
> Generally, what I need:
>               fresh GHC with working profiling, with Cabal processing
>               "_p" module suffixes, and such
>               (in  runhaskell Setup build, install).
>
> If official  ghc-6.4.1 (with default Cabal version)  has not the
> needed feature, then, the next question is
>
>   which higher Cabal version supports such `make' for profiling?
>
> After I know the answer to this, I could start searching for possible
> _simple instructions_  for the users of GHC and its applications on
> how to upgrade Cabal in their installed  ghc-6.4.1.  Such instructions
> that are clear almost to everyone, not only to system hackers.
>
> If all this occurs difficult to arrange, then the profiling occurs
> delayed to future official GHC versions.

(If I've completely misunderstood the question please ignore me :)
Guide to profiling in Cabal:

Step 1: Installing a new Cabal
You can either download Cabal 1.1.1 from the webpage or pull it from
http://cvs.haskell.org/darcs/cabal with darcs.
When you got the source tree you install it as any other Cabal package.
[global installation]
$ runhaskell Setup.lhs configure
$ runhaskell Setup.lhs build
$ sudo runhaskell Setup.lhs install

[user installation, GHC <= 6.4 wont like this]
$ runhaskell Setup.lhs configure --prefix=/your/desired/prefix
$ runhaskell Setup.lhs build
$ runhaskell Setup.lhs install --user

Step 2: Compiling Cabal packages with profiling.
You can now pass '-p' or '--enable-library-profiling' when you
configure a package and the .cabal file will have a new stanza call
GHC-prof-options for profiling options.

--
Friendly,
  Lemmih