ghc and cabal

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Sat Aug 6 03:51:03 EDT 2005

On Aug 05, 2005 we  wrote:

> "Serge D. Mechveliani" <mechvel at botik.ru> writes:
>
> > Which Cabal version will be in official  ghc-6.4.1  by default?
>

> It'll be 1.0 with some bug fixes (Simon: can you please make the
> version number '1.0.1'?)
>

> > If it is 1.0, then  ghc-6.4.1 will fail with `make' for profiling.
> > So, the user needs to install another Cabal version and to link it
> > to GHC, and this occurs difficult. This is likely to complicate the
> > usage of GHC
>
> Yep.  Profiling support won't be there, but some of the problems you
> faced in building a separate Cabal will hopefully be fixed in the new
> version of GHC.

First, I tried to test profiling in  ghc-6.4.1-pre-release,
and could not -- due to this misfeature with "_p" modules in
Cabal-1.0.
Generally, what I need:
              fresh GHC with working profiling, with Cabal processing
              "_p" module suffixes, and such
              (in  runhaskell Setup build, install).

If official  ghc-6.4.1 (with default Cabal version)  has not the
needed feature, then, the next question is

  which higher Cabal version supports such `make' for profiling?

After I know the answer to this, I could start searching for possible
_simple instructions_  for the users of GHC and its applications on
how to upgrade Cabal in their installed  ghc-6.4.1.  Such instructions
that are clear almost to everyone, not only to system hackers.

If all this occurs difficult to arrange, then the profiling occurs
delayed to future official GHC versions.

Regards,

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru