ghc and cabal

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Fri Aug 5 06:02:07 EDT 2005

Dear GHC developers,
dear Cabal developers,

To my report

>> I have `made'  ghc-6.4.1.20050801
>>
>> Without profiling, it `makes' and installs.
>> For profiling,  dm.cabal  adds
>>                           -prof -auto-all -hisuf p_hi -osuf p_o
>> to its options.
>> The commands
>>     runhaskell Setup configure --ghc --prefix=$dmSource/inst
>>     runhaskell Setup build
>>
>> seem to work all right. Then,   runhaskell Setup install --user
>> reports
>>   Installing: /home/mechvel/dm/1.03/dm/source/inst/lib/dumatel-1.3 &
>>               /home/mechvel/dm/1.03/dm/source/inst/bin dumatel-1.3...
>>   Error: Could not find module: Dumatel with any suffix: ["hi"]
>>
>> And the directory  $dmSource/dist/build/  contains
>>                                           Dumatel.p_hi, Dumatel.p_o
>> among its files.
>> [..]

Simon Marlow writes that I need to install the later version of Cabal
independently on GHC.

I do have some difficulties with this, because Cabal-1.1.1 `README'
suggests just to run  `make install'  as a root,  I do not see any
configureing possibility for the installation, and so on.

But, in principle, what is the relation between Cabal and GHC
installation?

In   ghc-6.4.1.20050801,
     `ghci -package Cabal'    says  "Cabal-1.0".

I have read some of Cabal manual, about how to use  runhaskell.
But as I recall, I never installed Cabal. GHC has installed it itself.
(?)
Which Cabal version will be in official  ghc-6.4.1  by default?
If it is 1.0, then  ghc-6.4.1 will fail with `make' for profiling.
So, the user needs to install another Cabal version and to link it
to GHC, and this occurs difficult. This is likely to complicate the
usage of GHC
(?)

Regards,

Serge Mechveliani