installing ghc without already having ghc

Jessica Brennan [staff] jib at panix.com
Fri Apr 22 09:02:46 EDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Tim Smith wrote:

> On 2005 Apr 21, Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> Readline.hsc: In function `main':
>>> Readline.hsc:677: error: `UNDO_DELETE' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> Readline.hsc:677: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
>>> once Readline.hsc:677: error: for each function it appears in.)
>>> Readline.hsc:678: error: `UNDO_INSERT' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> Readline.hsc:679: error: `UNDO_BEGIN' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> Readline.hsc:680: error: `UNDO_END' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> Readline.hsc:1021: error: `MULT_MATCH' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> Readline.hsc:1044: error: `SINGLE_MATCH' undeclared (first use in this
>>> function)
>>> gmake: *** [System/Console/Readline.hs] Error 1
>
> Jessica,
>
> My guess is that this has to do with a difference between readline-4.x
> and realine-5.0.  Do you need to use readline-5.0?
>
> In HsReadline.hsc, you'll see that it includes <readline/readline.h>.
>
> On FreeBSD, in /usr/include/readline/readline.h, I find this:
>
> enum undo_code { UNDO_DELETE, UNDO_INSERT, UNDO_BEGIN, UNDO_END };
> #define NO_MATCH        0
> #define SINGLE_MATCH    1
> #define MULT_MATCH      2
>

> Do you have those in your system's readline.h?
>
> You could probably port the readline library to use readline-5.0, but it
> might be more work than you're willing to do.

Actually I normally use readline-4.2 but ghc for netbsd required the
readline-5.0 libraries, so that was what was installed. I tried both
versions of readline with no luck. I even tried including readline.h
directly in libraries/readline/System/Console/Readline.hsc. However I
still get the error.

-Jessica

jib at panix.com
Panix Staff