installing ghc without already having ghc

Tim Smith tim at desert.net
Fri Apr 22 02:38:45 EDT 2005

On 2005 Apr 21, Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Readline.hsc: In function `main':
> > Readline.hsc:677: error: `UNDO_DELETE' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > Readline.hsc:677: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> > once Readline.hsc:677: error: for each function it appears in.)
> > Readline.hsc:678: error: `UNDO_INSERT' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > Readline.hsc:679: error: `UNDO_BEGIN' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > Readline.hsc:680: error: `UNDO_END' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > Readline.hsc:1021: error: `MULT_MATCH' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > Readline.hsc:1044: error: `SINGLE_MATCH' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > gmake: *** [System/Console/Readline.hs] Error 1

Jessica,

My guess is that this has to do with a difference between readline-4.x
and realine-5.0.  Do you need to use readline-5.0?

In HsReadline.hsc, you'll see that it includes <readline/readline.h>.

On FreeBSD, in /usr/include/readline/readline.h, I find this:

enum undo_code { UNDO_DELETE, UNDO_INSERT, UNDO_BEGIN, UNDO_END };
#define NO_MATCH        0
#define SINGLE_MATCH    1
#define MULT_MATCH      2

Do you have those in your system's readline.h?

You could probably port the readline library to use readline-5.0, but it
might be more work than you're willing to do.

Hope this helps,

Tim