Compiling faster

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 27 09:25:28 EDT 2004

On 23 September 2004 12:42, George Russell wrote:

> I think therefore the section "Sooner: producing a program more
> quickly"

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/sooner-faster-qu
icker.html#SOONER

> should recommend using --make to compile lots of files at a time.
> And by the way, that might not be a bad idea for GHC itself ...

--make might also need a lot more memory (.hi files are cleverly
demand-loaded when compiling a single module), and it also leaves you
rather exposed to space leaks in GHC itself.

It can also be slower when only re-compiling a small number of modules
in a large program.

However, nevertheless it *is* better in many cases.  I'll add something
to that section of the docs.