Compiling Haskell on an UltraSparc/NetBSD

Simon Marlow simonmar at
Tue Nov 16 05:20:23 EST 2004

On 15 November 2004 21:16, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> [Not subscribed to haskell-users so please copy me the answers.]
> To compile the revision control system Darcs (,
> I need Haskell but I'm not myself a Haskell user.
> My machine is an UltraSparc 10 running NetBSD 1.6.2 userland and 2.0
> kernel.
> There is a package source for Glasgow Haskell, so, let's try in
> /usr/pkgsrc:
> % make
> checking build system type... sparc64-unknown-netbsd2.0.
> checking host system type... sparc64--netbsd
> checking target system type... sparc64--netbsd
> Unrecognised platform: sparc64--netbsd
> gmake: Entering directory
> `/usr/pkgsrc/lang/ghc/work/ghc-6.2.1/glafp-utils'
> ../mk/ ../mk/ No such file or directory
> You haven't run ./../configure yet.
> gmake: *** [../mk/] Error 1

There isn't an existing build for your platform, which means you'll have
to bootstrap.  Also, it looks like a small amount of porting effort will
be required (the configure script hasn't recognised the platform, so at
least you'll need to add a few obvious lines in there).

Full porting instructions are here:

Bootstrapping generally works quite smoothly, but if you run into
problems we're always happy to help.  Send us any patches you end up