Friends for --print-libdir

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri May 14 12:12:52 EDT 2004

On 14 May 2004 08:12, George Russell wrote:

> I think there should be a GHC option --print-sharedir
> (or you could call it --print-datadir), corresponding
> to ghc --print-libdir.  Thus on our system
>     ghc --print-libdir
> prints out
>     /home/linux-bkb/ghc/ghc-6.2.1/lib/ghc-6.2.1
> and I would like
>     ghc --print-sharedir
> to print out
>     /home/linux-bkb/ghc/ghc-6.2.1/share/ghc-6.2.1
>
> At the moment I use
>     ghc  --print-libdir | sed -e 's+/lib/\([^/]*\)$+/share/\1+g
> but this isn't exactly the happiest of solutions.
>
> The reason my scripts want access to the share directory is that
> they want access to HTML files and Haddock interfaces stored there.

Remind me why you need --print-libdir again?  I have a feeling that this
information should be private to GHC.  Oh, is it because the package
specs contain the string "$libdir"?

Anyway, to get access to the Haddock interfaces and HTML docs, we've
been thinking that this information ought to be in the package specs.
And we're revamping this design at the moment as part of the library
infrastructure project... stay tuned (the draft design will be publish
in a matter of days).