Integrating ghc's rts into other single-threaded frameworks

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at
Wed May 5 15:55:05 EDT 2004

| I'm thinking about how to make threaded Haskell program work nicely
| Gtk+ (the widget toolkit) and whether the new threaded rts will help
| not.
| Would bound threads help? I'm not sure I understand the idea very

That's *exactly* what the bound-threads idea is for.  It's implemented
in GHC 6.2.1 (see the bound-thread operations in Control.Concurrent).
There is a more detailed writeup about bound threads that I think we
neglected to complete and publish.  Wolfgang Thaller is the main author,
and I hope he may pick this up.  Meanwhile we'll put the current draft
on the GHC site.