Parsec State Monad Question

John Knottenbelt jak97 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 10:57:07 EST 2004

Hi

I was wondering if it was possible to write a function that allows changing
the state type of the Parser monad from Parsec.

The full parser type is: GenParser p s a, where p is the token type, s is the
state type and a is the return type of the monad. However, I mostly use
CharParser s a which is a synonym for GenParser Char s a.

What I would like is a function that allows me to combine CharParsers with
differing state types. Something like:

runParser' :: CharParser t a -> t -> CharParser s (t,a)

So that I can use parsers written to work with different state types together
on the same input stream.

Does anybody know if this is possible, or how one might do it with Parsec?

Thanks

John