Emitting java bytecode?

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 15:53:20 EST 2004

Hello!

Would be possible for GHC to emit Java bytecode? There seems to be some
code in GHC's sources (in ghc/compiler/javaGen/) suggesting that it was
anticipated.

I suppose most of the work would be in making a java RTS and libraries.

I am mainly interested in making GHC more portable. Haskell is a great
application programming language, but there are some concerns about
portability of applications.

Perhaps I shouldn't be looking at java bytecode for a solution...
Is it possible that a C-- backend will make GHC more portable?

Best regards,
Tomasz