Placement of OPTION pragmas

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Sep 18 20:13:19 EDT 2003

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>>OPTIONS pragmas are only looked for at the top of your source files,
>>upto the first (non-literate,non-empty) line not containing OPTIONS.
>

> Why doesn't "non-empty" include comment-only lines?
>
> I usually start source files with the equivalent of:
> [...]
> and currently {-# OPTIONS ... #-} must be before the header...

... and I think it is fine that way, I would even be happy if it had
to be the very first line. OPTIONS can change the language (well, at
least in parts), so they should be placed in a prominent place. It
would be easy to change GHC's behaviour the way you asked for, but
this would make things hard for a *human* reader of the source code.

Cheers,
    S.