stg_ap_v_ret porting crash: solved?

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Sep 13 10:24:01 EDT 2003

dons:
> I got another (loopy) compile on alpha-dec-osf3 that went through
> cleanly, with the following fixes:

[..]

> And then everything went though, to the re-configure part of
> hc-build, but the ghc-inplace seems to go into an infinite loop
> on invocation. It won't produce output even with invalid command
> line flags. It just sits and spins for a few minutes, and then I
> have to kill it.

A quick gdb session on stage1/ghc-6.0.1 on the alpha-dec-osf3:

    (gdb) run

# ^C it after a little while:

    0x1212c62c4 in StgRun () at StgCRun.c:6
    6        * STG-to-C glue.

    (gdb) break StgRun
    Breakpoint 1 at 0x1212c6298: file StgCRun.c, line 6.

# run it:

    Breakpoint 1, 0x1212c6298 in StgRun () at StgCRun.c:6
    6        * STG-to-C glue.

    (gdb) step
    0x1212c6728 in stg_init () at StgStartup.hc:6

    (gdb) step

# I ^C it after a little while:

    0x1212c62b0 in StgRun () at StgCRun.c:6
    6        * STG-to-C glue.

So it stalls or loops (it sits at 98% of cpu) on entry to stg_init().

More info will have to wait until I try a debug build.

-- Don