Porting GHC to powerpc-unknown-linux

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:41:49 +0100

=20
> simonmar:
> > There's a small possibility that I've missed something out from the
> > instructions, I suppose :)
>=20
> No. They are perfect. I've stress tested them today :p
>=20
> +-----------------+--------------------+----------------------------+
> |     HOST        |      TARGET        | Unregisterised bootstrap   |
> +-----------------+--------------------+----------------------------+
> | i386-*-openbsd  | i386-*-openbsd     |          YES               |
> |                 | i386-*-freebsd     |          YES               |
> |                 | i386-*-linux       |          YES               |
> |                 | i386-*-solaris2    |          YES               |
> |                 | sparc-sun-solaris2 |          YES               |
> |                 | sparc-sun-openbsd  |       in-progress          |
> |                 | m68k-apple-netbsd  |       in-progress          |
> |                 |                    |                            |
> |                 | alpha-dec-osf3     | dies on host with:         |
> |                 |                    | cc1: Invalid option `ieee' |
> +-----------------+--------------------+----------------------------+
>=20
> So all 32-bit platforms have worked or are looking good, but=20
> the 64 bit couldn't get of the host machine.   =20

The problem you experienced on the Alpha has a perfectly rational
explanation.  The .hc files we generate on the host machine are designed
to be compiled on the target machine only; it's entirely possible that
the configuration of the compiler on the host machine may not be able to
compile these .hc files to .o.

Ideally, the build system should know when it is cross-compiling .hc
files and just generate .hc files (passing -C to GHC instead of -c
-keep-hc-files).  I thought about doing this, but quickly realised it
would be a lot of work to get right.  You might be able to hack around
it with lots of 'make -k' on the host machine.

> But I think we can see that GHC is portable now :)

That's what I like to hear :-)