ghc-6.0.1 solaris 2.9 readline problem

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 20 17:17:52 EDT 2003

> I've just installed the solaris2.8 binary package for ghc-6.0.1
>
> I confess that I am running solaris2.9, which may be the cause of the
> problem, in which case I suppose I need to wait.  But perhaps
> my problem is
> more general.  I am trying to build HaLeX, a library for
> processing automata
> and regular expressions.
>
> I have readline.h and history.h in
> /usr/local/include/readline, so the
> following error message is puzzling to me:
>
> HaLeX:make
> ghc --make -I./src -i./src -package util -O2 ./src/Main.hs -o
> ./bin/halex
> Chasing modules from: ./src/Main.hs
> Compiling RegExp           ( ./src/RegExp.hs, ./src/RegExp.o )
>
> ./src/RegExp.hs:20:
>     Warning: `RegExp' is exported by `RegExp' and `RegExp(..)'
> In file included from /tmp/ghc18853.hc:6:
> /home/matt/lib/ghc-6.0.1/include/HsReadline.h:5:
> readline/readline.h: No such
> file or directory
> /home/matt/lib/ghc-6.0.1/include/HsReadline.h:6:
> readline/history.h: No such
> file or directory
> make: *** [halex] Error 1

I suspect that GHC isn't looking in /usr/local/include for include
files.  Adding -I/usr/local/include might help.  A better fix is to
modify the package configuration for the util package to add
"/usr/local/include" to the list of include_dirs.

Nobody's fault, really: the GHC package you installed was simply built
on a system that had the readline headers installed in a different
place.