Problems building ghc-current

Peter Simons simons@cryp.to
28 May 2003 13:39:27 +0200

Simon Marlow writes:

 > We could just rearrange the repository in place, and everything would
 > still work, right?

It's not quite that easy, unfortunately. If you want to retain the
files's version history (and I guess you would), then you have to move
the directories around in the CVS repository's file system _directly_,
because CVS has no notion of "moving" entries -- let alone
directories.

As a result, users who have a checked-out copy of the repository, will
not be able to commit their changes (or update their copy) anymore,
because the paths stored in their "CVS/Repository" files became
incorrect.

Either, one provides a short shell script to fix this (no big deal),
or the repository has to be checked-out from the scratch, before it
can be used again.

But that's more of a nuisance than a real problem.

Peter

P. S.: In your quote my '»' and '«' characters were messed up, so I'll
be using normal quotes from now on, assuming that the guillemots cause
problems on non-Latin-1 systems.