Problems building ghc-current

Peter Simons simons@cryp.to
28 May 2003 10:45:43 +0200

At <http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/ghc/docs/latest/html/building/sec-cvs.html>:

 | 2.4. Updating Your Source Tree
 |
 | It can be tempting to cvs update just part of a source tree to bring in
 | some changes that someone else has made, or before committing your own
 | changes. This is NOT RECOMMENDED! [...]
 |
 | So, to avoid a lot of hassle, follow this recipe for updating your tree:
 |
 | $ cd fptools
 | $ cvs update -Pd 2>&1 | tee log

The '-P' flag (prune) suppresses empty directories in the update.

 > You probably won't need greencard anyway, so maybe it's best to wipe it
 > from the disk (and all the other unrelated stuff).

I have no problem with that. I think this situation is unsatisfactory,
though, I'll have to cvs-update my source repository in two, maybe three
separate steps, to avoid checking everything out _again_.

Peter

Alastair: Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! I'll take a look at the
build again; maybe I can get this problem fixed after all.