ghc --make with .o files

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:52:58 +0100

> If you pass a list of .o files---and only .o files (i.e. no .hs=20
> files)---to GHC, and --make is specified, nothing happens.  Is it=20
> possible to change this behaviour so that GHC will link the .o files=20
> together into an executable?

Not possible at the moment, I'm afraid.  GHC's intelligence about which
packages to link comes from inspecting the interfaces for the compiled
modules, not from the .o files themselves.  This is why one-shot linking
needs to have explicit -package flags on the command line.

Is there some reason you can't use ghc --make in the normal way?