state of ghc6 on sparc

Josef Svenningsson josefs@cs.chalmers.se
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:09:14 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Isaac Jones wrote:

> Hello :)
>
> Can anyone enlighten me as to the state of the ghc6 sparc
> distribution?  The file on Hal's web page mentioned some time back is
> not the same file as on the GHC web page (I note that the filenames
> are different also).
>
> Are any of them known to work if installed in a non-standard place?

Here at Chalmers we use the first shipped version (I believe this is the
one on the GHC web page or an even earlier one...). I patched it myself,
it was very easy. I expect that the version on Hal's web page should work
since he said he fixed the bug.

The only thing that I don't like is that the dist isn't compiled with
readline. It makes working in ghci a nightmare (I need to use backspace
often...). The problem around this is in my opinion to make a Haskell98
compliant trimmed down readline library which doesn't depend on the c
library. It shouldn't be too difficult. I don't expect that people are
using the full power of readline anyway.

Cheers,

	/Josef