long constant list of pairs (was Re: Ways and Build Tags for Optimisation)

Christian Maeder maeder@tzi.de
Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:46:21 +0200

>    4. Re: Ways and Build Tags for Optimisation (Ashley Yakeley)

> From: Ashley Yakeley <ashley@semantic.org>
> Subject: Re: Ways and Build Tags for Optimisation
> Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 20:40:59 -0700

Sorry for replying from a digest. (Replying from the archive is not
better, is it?)

> Inside the module is an "Array Char String" created from a
> "[(Char,String)]" that is a long list of Unicode character names.

We had very long compilation times when optimization or profiling was
switched on, for a [(String, Int)] list with about 5000 entries.

We worked around the problem by changing the list into a String
(escaping doublequotes) and using "read" to convert it to a list.
(Eventually we converted it to a Map.)

>>getCharacterName '\x189F'
>
> "MONGOLIAN LETTER MANCHU ALI GALI DDHA"

We had latin1 characters in our strings.

Cheers Christian