Profiling trouble

Ferenc Wagner wferi@afavant.elte.hu
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:03:01 +0100

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> Both of these bugs were fixed in 5.04.2.

Great.

> I'm afraid there's no way at the moment, but I'll look
> into adding a flag.  The problem is that the longer the
> stacks get, the less room there is for the graph - hp2ps
> tends to squeeze the graph up to make room for the labels,
> which is why we truncate them.

It's clear.  The disappointing thing was to find truncated
names in the .hp file, too...  Btw, a wonderful XML tool is
coming, isn't it? :) Till then, a switch would be more than
enough.  The .prof file also helps.  And the letters could
be smaller, and the text could be wrapped, and...  For a
screen view (I've never printed a profile) almost everything
will do.

> Your other problem (misattribution of costs in the
> profile) seems to be related to the use of overloaded
> functions, and the compiler isn't translating the
> definition of getStates properly.  I haven't found a fix
> yet.

On the other hand, I've already found the problem with my
code (the heap profiler helped much), so I'm coding away
happily!  Thanks for the good work!

                                        Feri.