linker errors

Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:48:07 +0100

One of GHC's infelicities is that it only supports tuples up to a
certain size -- currently 62.
You just can't get bigger tuples. Your program uses a 73-tuple.  My
guess is that your code is generated by some other program that's
generating big tuples?

The only workaround is to nest your tuples.

It would really be much better if GHC complained in the front end about
over-size tuples.  I'll fix that.  The "real" fix (arbitrary size
tuples) isn't really hard, but it involves real work so we keep
postponing it on the gounds that it seldom bites.  So please continue to
say if it bites you, so that we know. =20

It used to be the case that simply having a nest of more than 62
mutually-recursive functions would trigger this bug, but that should no
longer be the case with 6.0.  Please say if that is happening.

Simon