[HOpenGL] HOpenGL and --enable-threaded-rts

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:50:49 +0200

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> [...]
> GHC's approach to threading
> [...]
> The current GHC model has the basic assumption that OS threads
> are inter-changeable.

As has already been mentioned by others, this assumption doesn't hold
if you leave the Happy World of Haskell(tm): Locks/mutexes/... and
thread-local variables can be hidden under the hoods of many libraries
out there, for which there will *never* be a Haskell replacement. I
consider the ability to write bindings to those libraries as an extremely
important point, otherwise the usefulness of Haskell is rather limited.
Remember that Haskell has been described as a "good glue" for other
building blocks (= APIs) around...

> [...] There is a good reason for this: the current OS thread may block
> in some I/O call (getChar, say), and we don't want that to block
> all Haskell threads.

Hmmm, I don't consider this a good reason. IMHO there are basically 2
ways for threading in an RTS:

   * The "Green Threads" approach, where no OS threading is used, but
     everything is done by hand, 'select'-ing carefully internally, etc.
     If the user itself calls out to C land and gets blocked, the whole
     RTS is blocked. Not nice, but the price to pay for getting flyweight
     threads.

   * A 1-1 mapping from the threads in the language in question to OS
     threads. If there is a danger of blocking, the user forks away a
     new thread to do the work, and everything is fine. The Java world
     lives quite happily with this.

Anything between will be doomed to fail in the general case, I fear,
for the reasons given in this (mail- :-) thread. It is OK if no
external code is ever called, but then you may use "Green Threads",
anyway...

Hacking GLUT to work with GHC's current approach makes no sense, it
would only solve a single instance of a general problem. Furthermore,
it would be extremely system-dependent and would cost a *vast* amount of
performance: Switching OpenGL contexts can require a round-trip to a
remote server, can trigger swapping a few MB of textures into your
favourite graphics card, etc.  OK, these are worst-case scenarios, but
doing even the best case just for drawing a few vertices would probably
be ridiculously slow.

Cheers,
   S.