Giving profiled object files a different extension (was: RE: Profiling suggestion)

Hal Daume III hdaume@ISI.EDU
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:16:52 -0700 (PDT)

For what it's worth (I don't know whether defaulting -prof to mean '-prof
-osuf p_o -hisuf p_hi' was going to be adopted or not), but I'm against
it.  I name my o file by $ARCH.o and my hi files by $ARCH.hi and profiled
by $ARCH.p.o, etc...I basically do this by aliasing in my .cshrc ghc to
ghc -osuf $ARCH.o -hisuf $ARCH.hi; this means I don't have to worry about
"make clean"ing every time I build for different architectures (I usually
have a sun4 build and a linux i686 build laying around).  I then have
another alias ghcp for profiling which uses -osuf $ARCH.p.o, etc.

As long as this default is overridden by explicit options, I'm fine with
it, but please don't hardwire it :).

 - Hal

--
Hal Daume III