Document -optl-static

Volker Stolz stolz@i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:42:22 +0200

In local.glasgow-haskell-users, you wrote:
>> I think it would be a good idea to add -optl-static to the flags
>> described in
>> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/option
>> s-phases.html#OPTIONS-LINKER
>> perhaps in the vincinity of -static & -dynamic. Although this
>> could be considered
>> redundant, it might save some time trying out how to build
>> entirely static
>> binaries. Opinions?
>
> I think the -static flag probably ought to be passed to the linker, so
> you wouldn't need -optl-static.  Is there any reason you might need
> -static but not -optl-static?

My prefered solution would be to rename the current "-static" to e.g.
-hsstatic and let the actual "-static" be equivalent to
"-hsstatic -optl-static". That way, you don't loose the current
possibility, although I cannot thing of any useful application, either.
--
Volker Stolz * http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/stolz/ * PGP * S/MIME
http://news.bbc.co.uk: `Israeli forces [...], declaring curfews that