enormous executable

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:16:29 +0100

> I don't think the native ld on alpha-dec-osf3 supports such a feature,
> so we would (I assume) have to leave -split-objs in ghc even if we do
> implement -ffunction-sections/-fdata-sections.  (Would it just be a
> matter of enabling it when invoking gcc?  Would I be able to try it on
> my i386-linux box with -optc-ffunction-sections?  Or I suppose the
> mangler would need to be educated...)

AFAIK it only works on ELF, and only with GNU ld.  You could take
advantage of it when doing unregisterised compilation, but otherwise we
have to teach the mangler about it.  And there's bound to be some
complication due to the assumptions we make in the RTS about the
relative ordering of code/data.