enormous executable

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak@knm.org.pl
2 Oct 2001 15:41:01 GMT

Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:55:11 +0100, Simon Marlow <simonmar@microsoft.com> pisze:

> We don't have support for shared libraries under Unix at the moment.  It
> has been investigated at various times in the past, and I believe the
> story is that we couldn't do it without at least losing some performance
> (more performance loss than you get from compiling C into a shared
> library).

There is also a big problem of binary incompatibility between different
versions of ghc, and dependence on the exact version of modules our
package depends on.

Dynamic libraries work for C because C has a very stable ABI. Also
it's easy to maintain binary compatibility in libraries. I'm afraid
that cross-module optimizations of ghc make dynamic libraries nearly
impractical.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak@knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/