Problems when mounting c: to /

Reuben Thomas rrt1001@cam.ac.uk
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:59:04 +0000 (GMT)

> When installing ghc-4.08.2 (onWinNT) as described in the installation
> instructions under c:, I couldn't get ghc to run.
> It invoked the C-preprozessor and stoped after cleaning.

I'm puzzled by this. Could you please send some sample output? Preferably
running ghc -v.

> When I unmount c:, it works fine. (If I install cygwin and dont mount c: to /
> it works fine too.)
> But now //c/ is the normal win-root. That's not a problem for me, but how about
> ghc?

Well, if it works, I suppose it's not a problem...

> Does it depend in any way on c: mounted to /?

I'm not sure. I think it used to (because of using /tmp as the temporary
directory). Now it's mostly for convenience.

> If not why do you want this mount (in the  installation instructions section
> 2.2.2.1)?

I think it used to be necessary, and I kept it in the instructions partly
because I find it useful to be able to refer to the drive with Unix-style
paths, with the root directory being /, and partly because it worked, and
the less I change the instructions, the less likely I am to break something.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | wit, n.  educated insolence (Aristotle)