ghc Profiler

Stephan Reiff-Marganiec sreiff@dcs.gla.ac.uk
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:11:46 +0100

Dear ghc friend or developper,

I am using the ghc profiler to do time profiling, and sadly cannot get
the relevant detail out of the tool.

I compile the program using ghc -auto -caf-all -prof and get an
exectuable. All that is fine and I can also use other compile options.

When running, the document suggests that one uses

+RTS -p -RTS, and again that works fine. Unfortunately it only delivers
percentages of time, no raw ticks. So if a particluar CCS took less than
0.1 percent it will not occur.

So, one should be able to use -P instead to obtain actual figures as
well, but the resulting .prof file is identical to the -p one.

Bug? or is it me??

Is there any other way of obtaining good time profiles?

a quick reply would be appreciated

Stephan

ps: I am using ghc 5.02 (although the same problem occurs with ghc 4.08)

 Stephan Reiff-Marganiec                    e-mail:      sreiff@dcs.gla.ac.uk
 Research Assistant / Student               tel:     + 44 141 339 8855 x 0048
 Department of Computing Science            fax:            + 44 141 330 4913
 University of Glasgow
 8-17 Lilybank Gardens
 GLASGOW    G12 8RZ,  U.K.