POLL: GC options

Josef Svenningsson josefs@cs.chalmers.se
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 13:15:44 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Simon Marlow wrote:

> Issue 1: should the maximum heap size be unbounded by default?
> Currently the maximum heap size is bounded at 64M.  Arguments for: this
> stops programs with a space leak eating all your swap space.  Arguments
> against: it's annoying to have to raise the limit when you legitimately
> need more space.

> 	1. remove the default limit altogether
> 	2. raise the default limit
> 	3. no change
>
> (any others?)

I think that if there should be a default limit it would be nice to be
able to set it at compile time. This is something that I've wanted for
quite some time. If I know that the program I am compiling is likely to
need 100M of heap space it feels silly having to give the RTS parameter to
the program each time I run it. It would be much more convenient to just
tell the compiler where I want the limit.

	/Josef