POLL: GC options

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:54:44 +0100

Folks,

There is some disagreement over how the GC options should be specified
for Haskell programs.  I've identified a couple of issues below,
comments and opinions are greatly appreciated.  If there's a concensus
that things should be changed, then I'll make the changes for the next
release.

Issue 1: should the maximum heap size be unbounded by default?
Currently the maximum heap size is bounded at 64M.  Arguments for: this
stops programs with a space leak eating all your swap space.  Arguments
against: it's annoying to have to raise the limit when you legitimately
need more space.

	1. remove the default limit altogether
	2. raise the default limit
	3. no change

(any others?)

Issue 2: Should -M be renamed to -H, and -H renamed to something else?
The argument for this change is that GHC's -M option is closer to the
traditional meaning of -H.

Issue 3: (suggestion from Julian S.) Perhaps there should be two options
to specify "optimise for memory use" or "optimise for performance",
which have the effect of setting the defaults for various GC options to
appropriate values.  Optimising for memory use might enable the
compacting collector all the time, for instance.  Optimising for
performance is hard - we may be able to change some of the defaults to
trade space for time, but it's unlikely to be entirely reliable (eg.
turning on the compacting collector sometimes improves performance,
sometimes reduces it).