[ghc-steering-committee] #632: Phased introduction of GHC2024

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Mar 22 09:43:13 UTC 2024

Hello from the sidelines,

Am Freitag, dem 22.03.2024 um 09:02 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones:
> Very well: perhaps
>  * The GHCi REPL does the latest stable language edition (and could as you say even put that in the prompt)
>  * All other uses of GHC (compiling a Foo.hs module) expect an explicitly-specified language edition, but use GHC2021 (or even Haskell 98!), and emit a warning to say so, if there none.  Essentially we'd be encouraging users to start every Foo.hs with {-# LANGUAGE GHC2024 #-}, which makes the file admirably self-describing.

That very precisely describes at least my vision ever since we started
introducing GHC20xx. Maybe with the small amendment to the second
bullet that for cabalized code, putting the edition into the .cabal
files is no less encouraged.

So if you are playing devil’s advocate by stating this, it seems this
makes me the … 😈 :-)

  mail at joachim-breitner.de