[ghc-steering-committee] Fwd: Please review #640: Fix quantification order for a `op` b and a %m -> b (Recommendation: Accept)

Malte Ott malte.ott at maralorn.de
Wed Mar 20 23:42:23 UTC 2024

Okay, let me summarize the voiced opinions:

We have agreement on the change to multiplicities.

On the infix type operator we are a bit stuck:

* Richard, Eric and I are in favor of fixing the bug.
* Adam and Arnaud are in favor of staying stable, living with the exception
* Simon was on the fix side but switched to undecided, waiting for more opinions
* Moritz preferred staying stable, but deferred to Simon before his switch

Overall slightly more votes for the change but subjectively hold less strongly
than the opinions against it.

Since I am unclear on how to proceed I’d love to hear more opinions (especially
of committee members who haven’t voiced theirs about this proposal).

I am generally not a fan of enshrining historic coincidence in the language when
the cost of fixing it is bareable. On the other hand this is such a minor detail
that I don’t think it will matter much in either direction.

If we cannot come to a consensus soon I will put it a to a vote. We
shouldn’t spend too much time on this.

Best
Malte