[ghc-steering-committee] Fwd: Please review #640: Fix quantification order for a `op` b and a %m -> b (Recommendation: Accept)

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Tue Mar 19 14:12:33 UTC 2024

On Tue, 19 Mar 2024 at 10:26, Simon Peyton Jones <
simon.peytonjones at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I think you are now saying that *even if a left-to-right order was
> "best", *there is a long-standing bug in GHC that puts `b` first in (a
> `b` c`), and it's not worth the risk of change.   So instead we should
> institutionalise the bug into the spec.

This is, at least, my position. This is a bug fix, but the bug is so tiny,
that even if the breakage is rare, it's not necessarily worth it, and it
may be better to bake the exception into the spec. I'm weakly on the side
that baking the exception is better.